Introduction of Tsuyama
Tsuyama is located in the northern portion of Okayama Prefecture in the southwestern part of Honshu island. The 506.36k㎡ area, known as the Chugoku region, has a population of about 110,000 people. The first feudal lord, Mori Tadamasa, laid out Tsuyama as his castle town and the castle was completed in 1616. The study of western science and culture was popular during the Edo period, during which many excellent scholars were born in Tsuyama.
Since the municipality was created in 1929, Tsuyama has developed as the base city of Okayama Prefecture`s northern area. The castle tower, turrets and gates no longer exist, but 5,000 cherry trees planted throughout the castle grounds along with the surrounding mountains and the Yoshii-gawa river give Tsuyama a beautiful and natural flavor. This setting preserves the atmosphere of the Edo era within the Historic District. Tsuyama is full of such great treasures, from temples and shrines to traditional buildings with beautiful Japanese gardens.
Tsuyama also offers many cultural and historical events to be enjoyed by everyone. Tsuyama`s International All-Round Music Festival, held every three years, features music such as traditional Japanese, classical, and jazz.
- 津山市 地域づくり推進室
- 〒708-8501岡山県津山市山北520 市役所6階